Alia Secondary College vs Mainstream Schools
Alia Secondary College
The curriculum that Alia College provides is much the same (exactly in VCE) as other mainstream education schools. However the environment in which Alia College provides this education is different to mainstream schools. Below is a quick summary of how the environment at Alia College differs from mainstream schools:
A remarkably pleasant atmosphere:
- Teachers are on a first name basis with students.
- There is a remarkably pleasant atmosphere that people tell us is immediately obvious when you first come to visit (well, most of the time that is!)
- Normal, timetabled program but no bells.
- You may come to have a quick (15 minute) look at the school almost anytime. We don't have special visit days, so you get to see us warts and all.
- Students may do a trial day here to see what the students and teachers are really like in the way that only a student can.
Bullying fixed. Students commonly say that bullying is effectively managed at Alia.
- Students wear casual clothes - mostly jeans etc.
- Standard mainstream education, but from teachers who are more cheerful, interesting and subject-oriented.
- There are no formal sets of punishments such as detentions. If any issue arises, students and teachers discuss the matter - at considerable length, if needed.
- The most serious rule at the school is that students must not interfere with the learning of other students.
University or Community Style
- Teachers maintain control of the curriculum. Students have considerable say in any other matters that relate to their activities at school.
- Parents receive detailed reports of their young person's performance, attendance, lateness, etc.
- There is no staff room. Teachers and staff mingle with students during breaks.
- Students have open access to the school kitchen where there are ovens, stoves, toasters, knives and boiling water.
- Students are free to walk off the school premises during break and free periods.
- In addition to the usual desks, there are often couches in classrooms.
- If interested, students are able to organise school camps (within a budget). This includes choosing the venue, the accommodation, transport, meals etc.
- The gentle program for building confidence naturally is very effective. Students who are already confident find that they are able to take leadership roles and learn gradually how to lead effectively.
- The school as a whole is so remarkable that simply the positive atmosphere here is a special program.
- Every year at least one student comes who has been severely bullied and/or who has been school refusing who has finally been happy to come to school.
- Mathematics and English recovery results are excellent.
- Students that might be considered capable and/or creative and/or sensitive find the atmosphere here to be exactly what they seek.
Smoking is not permitted.
The above list is not inclusive of everything that is different; the best way to experience the differences is to visit the school.
"It's similar to my primary school, but more fair. In primary school we only had meeting once a month and they had a morning prayer. They did appreciations but not concerns." Paul m Year 8.
"At my old school they had all these silly rules about socks and buckles. Out of school you don't have those sort of rules so it's not real. It's less hypocritical here. At my old school there were rules about having your hair up and no shoe strings, but the teachers did." Ella f Year 8.
Click here to see more student and parent comments.
Website Marketing by A # Studios
Internet Marketing Company, Australia
Copyright ©2002–2016 Alia College.
All Rights Reserved
405 Tooronga Road, Hawthorn East, Victoria, Australia